George the Chimney Guy is an official installer of Vented Gas Logs made by Fireside America.
“Fully Vented” gas logs must be burned in a fireplace that is capable of burning real wood and must be burned with the damper open. The reason for this is that they do not burn the gas cleanly and create exhaust that is very similar to burning a real wood fire. This exhaust needs to be able to go up the chimney. The real beauty of vented gas logs is that they produce substantially more yellow flame than ventless logs which makes them look far more realistic. The downside is that most of the heat goes right up the chimney.
Positive Features of Vented Gas Logs:
- Extremely realistic flame pattern that looks like a wood fire.
- Flame is much taller than ventless logs.
- Flame dances and wraps around logs like real wood.
- A vented gas log fireplace is very low maintenance.
- Many models even come with a remote control.
- Does not require a CO2 detector.
- Since the damper is open, most of the smell will go up the chimney
Check out some the full line of Vented Gas Logs from Fireside America http://www.firesideamerica.com/prod_maincat.php?cat=gaslogs